The journey has just begun...

Thursday 1 July 2010

Reflections from Life Conference part 1: Greatness, glory & destiny

I attended the Life Conference at Trinity Christian Centre 2 weeks ago. Wow that left me with a lot of thoughts, and now finally finding time to digest the thoughts. I have various thoughts on a few different things, so I've decided to group them into separate entries.

One of the things I thought about was greatness, glory and destiny. Some of us think highly of ourselves and tend to overestimate what we can do. The rest of us think lowly of ourselves and often do not believe in our abilities. For me, I belong to the 2nd group, which is why this topic and the change of perception that comes with it struck me.

There are many cases in the Bible in which people encounter God, often resulting in 2 responses. One response is to realise how unworthy they are to be before God. The other response is to realise how much potential they have because of what God can use them for. As Christians, we tend to live by our strengths, and God seems so powerless and unable to do anything in our lives. But as we continue to align with His will and grow in our relationship with Him, God can use us in ways beyond what we could even expect. We sometimes feel like our life is so worthless and pointless, but biblically, God has never used the strong. He always uses the weak, the rejected, the outcasts, those who have lost confidence in themselves, and he transforms them into people that amazes those who knew them before. Not surprisingly, some of these people "reject" God's offer, saying that God should choose someone better, but it's quite amusing sometimes when God scolds them. When Moses didn't want to accept God's calling, God eventually told him something along the lines of "Hello, who do you think created you?? Who do you think enabled you to talk?? Anyway, your brother is coming to look for you, so you've no choice but just GO! Bye bye!"

There are many times when I'm not doing well spiritually. Even in these times, I'm amazed how God can use me to reach out to others, and guide them spiritually. I often feel like I'm not in the best position to help them, but because I don't know who else can care enough for them, I usually don't have much choice. I suppose when God wants you to do something, there's probably no way out of it haha.

There are people I know, including myself before, who feel that there are others around who can do better than us, and that it would be better if those people took over our lives instead. Yet, God has intended each of us for a purpose, a destiny, that is meant only for us. We tend to compare ourselves to others, but in actual fact, each of us are unique and we have our own strengths and weaknesses. Worse still, when comparing with others, we often have a negative perspective, focusing mostly on our weaknesses. Furthermore, the comparisons are even less valid when we factor in experiences. Everyone has a unique set of experiences, and adding this to the unique set of characteristics that we have, produces a person like nobody else on this planet. Much of our behaviour and thought processes comes from this combination, and thus no 2 people can do the same thing in the exact same way. When we compare with others, we're usually just looking down on the things that make us what we are.

My name means glory, and it's quite interesting thinking about that. For a lot of time in my life, I felt like it was a waste to have such a name. However, as I continue to recover spiritually, I know that if I continue to seek God and care for others in my own way, my life will be one that will glorify Him.

1 Comments:

  • hey guangrong!

    its very encouraging to read your testimony of how God has spoken to you. May you continue to be humble and broken before God and yet at the same time be used mightily. May He who empowers and enables, draw you closer in your walk with Him and attract you with His majesty.

    God bless!
    -matthan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 am  

Post a Comment



<< Home